Monday, March 31, 2008
The Benefits Of Green Tea For Dieting
According to a recent study supplied by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, green tea not only fights heart disease and cancer but may also fight body fat. It was shown that a bottle of tea fortified with green tea extract produced a higher loss of body fat for people who drank it every day for 3 months compared to others who drank regular oolong tea. This further confirms the benefits of green tea for dieting which is backed up by the following points below.
1. According to researchers, substances known as catechins may promote weight loss by stimulating calorie burning and decreasing body fat.
2. Polyphenols are plant based substances that have antioxidant, anticancer and antiviral characteristics. They are found in most teas.
3. Green tea is rich in catechins which is a type of polyphenol. With antiflammatory and anticancer properties already, green tea has a positive effect on body fat and cholesterol levels.
4. Green tea, oolong tea and black tea all come from the Camella sinesis plant. Only green tea leaves are not fermented before steaming and drying.
5. Researchers studied the effects of catechins on body fat reduction and weight loss on a test group of 35 Japanese men. They had similar weights based on there body mass index which is the measurement of body fat. Waste sizes were also taken into account for the test.
6. The test group was split into 2 groups to perform a 3 month test. One group drank a bottle of oolong tea fortified with green tea extract with 690 milligrams of catechins while the second group drank the same amount of oolong tea with 22 milligrams of catechins.
7. Both groups were instructed to control their calorie and fat intake, eating from the same breakfast and dinner menu.
8. The study proved that after 3 months the men who drank the green tea extract lost 5.3 pounds compared to 2.9 pounds from the other group. The LDL bad cholesterol levels also went down and they experienced a decrease in their waist size, BMI and total body fat.
9. The amount of tea and steeping time will determine how much catechins are contained in each cup consumed. Four cups a day are recommended and green tea extract supplements are available.
This study proves the benefits of green tea for dieting and will help with the prevention of various diseases. Results may vary but obesity may be reduced with green tea extract incorporated in a daily diet.